October 12, 2010 — Cyber threat has become one of the most serious economic and national security challenges we face.
Every Internet user has a role to play in securing cyberspace and ensuring the safety of ourselves, our families, and our communities online. Here are a few steps that you can take to stay safe online and strengthen our collective cybersecurity efforts all year long:
• Know who you're dealing with online
• Keep your Web browsers and operating system up to date
• Back up important files
• Protect children online [
• Use security software tools as your first line of defense
• Use strong passwords or strong authentication technology to help protect your personal information
• Learn what to do if something goes wrong
For information, contact the Information Security, Policy and Records Office, visit the Department of Homeland Security U.S. Cyber Emergency Response Team (US-CERT) Cybersecurity Tips or visit Stay Safe Online.