May 14, 2012 — The University of Virginia's 183rd Final Exercises will be held May 20. The ceremony begins at 10 a.m. on the Lawn and will last about 2 1/2 hours. The commencement speaker will be Katie Couric.
Media representatives who plan to cover Final Exercises should note the following:
• Each member of the media must be credentialed, including all members of TV crews. To obtain credentials, e-mail Penney Catlett of Public Affairs at email@example.com by May 17.
• Parking for media will be available in the R2 lot, located near the Physics Building and Bavaro Hall. Dashboard permits will be required. Additional parking for cars will be available at several locations, including Scott Stadium and University Hall. Shuttle buses will take you to the Lawn. (More info here.)
• Credentials and parking permits can be picked up at the U.Va. Public Affairs Office, 400 Ray C. Hunt Drive in the Fontaine Research Park (see map) until 5 p.m. Friday or at the Rotunda (Office of Development) on Sunday morning starting at 8 a.m.
• While on Grounds, you must display your credentials.
• Satellite trucks and vans will not be permitted on Central Grounds.
• TV cameras may film on the north side of the Rotunda (the public side) where graduates congregate. There will also be a camera platform in the media area on the south end of the Lawn in front of the stage. By the time the academic procession starts at 10 a.m., all TV cameras must be in the media area. Still photographers will not be allowed to walk with graduates during the procession.
• The media area on the Lawn will accommodate only a few TV cameras. Requests will be handled on a space-available basis.
• Highlights of Final Exercises, including scenes of the procession, speakers and cutaways of audience, will be available via satellite uplink from 4 to 4:30 p.m. Sunday at these coordinates:
• CBand digital
• GALAXY 28 15C
• Slot A
• Uplink Freq 6211.5000 H
• Downlink Freq 3986.5000 V
• 9MHz Parameters:
• FEC 5/6
• Bit Rate 10.167974
• Symbol 6.620
Further information is available from the University's Finals website.
If you need assistance on Sunday, you may call Marian Anderfuren, director of media relations, at 434-466-1002 or Carol Wood, University spokesperson, at 434-981-9623.
About the speaker: Katie Couric, the award-winning journalist and TV personality, well-known cancer advocate and New York Times best-selling author, is a 1979 U.Va. alumna. A native of Arlington, she is an honors graduate of the College of Arts & Sciences in English with a concentration in American studies. She was an associate editor of the Cavalier Daily, head Lawn resident and a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority.
Couric joined the Disney/ABC Television Group in 2011 and serves as special correspondent for ABC News, contributing to "ABC World News," "Nightline," "20/20," "Good Morning America," and primetime news specials. Beginning in September, she will host a new syndicated daytime daily talk show, "Katie."