The Bigger Picture: ‘Wherever the Bright Sun of Heaven Shall Shine …’
The rays of the setting sun shimmered over the University Chapel bell at the University of Virginia on a recent winter day. The bell, ensconced by the chapel’s sandstone bell tower, was cast by the McShane Bell Foundry of Baltimore and presented to the University by the V.V.V. Dramatic Club on Sept. 13, 1897. While the wooden rope-wheel was recently repaired, the bell no longer rings, having been replaced by an electronic carillon. The bell recently was waxed to preserve it and protect it from the elements.