September 15, 2009 — The University of Virginia's Office of Equal Opportunity Programs has created "EOP Champion Awards" to honor individuals and organizations that advance the principles of equal opportunity and exhibit leadership qualities that result in notable contributions to social justice and equal rights.
To nominate an EOP Champion, download the award nomination form or send a written submission to the Office of Equal Opportunity Programs, Washington Hall – East Range, P.O. Box 400219. The nomination deadline is Oct. 2.
The EOP Champion Awards are inclusive, with the intent being to recognize as many people as possible. Any staff or faculty member, student or on-Grounds organization may be nominated, provided they exemplify the following criteria:
• Promote an inclusive workplace and/or learning community free from discrimination, harassment and retaliation;
• Go beyond the requirements of their job responsibilities in order to advance understanding of and/or improve the climate of U.Va. for underrepresented groups;
• Have the courage to speak up about issues of inequality and continue to keep these issues alive in order to encourage change in the workplace;
• Build bridges between underrepresented communities and /or establish connections among various individual groups;
• Take action above and beyond Americans with Disabilities Act requirements to help raise awareness and improve sensitivity to individuals with disabilities on Grounds;
• Actively and enthusiastically collaborate with the Office of Equal Opportunity Programs to implement the University's affirmative action program.
The awards will be presented at the Office of Equal Opportunity Programs' annual Open House Oct. 30 from noon to 4 p.m.