March 18, 2009 — The University of Virginia's College at Wise will rededicate Crockett Hall April 13 as it marks the birthday of Thomas Jefferson, the founder of the University of Virginia, during Founder's Day activities.
University of Virginia President John T. Casteen III and other University officials will join in the College's celebration of Mr. Jefferson's 266th birthday.
The celebration begins at 1 p.m. outside Crockett Hall. The public is invited to attend and to join in the rededication of Crockett Hall, the College's first building.
Crockett Hall, once the home of the former Wise County poor farm, served as the College's only building when it opened in 1954. The building is named after Samuel Crockett, a University extension agent who played a key role in the founding of the College.
Throughout its history, the building has included classrooms, administrative offices and student residences. Crockett Hall was renovated in 2008 and now houses Admissions, Financial Aid, Academic Advising and Retention, the Registrar's Office and the Cashier's Office.
For information, contact the Office of College Relations at 276-328-0130.