May 19, 2010 — The University of Virginia's 181st Final Exercises will be held on May 23. The ceremony begins at 10 a.m. on the Lawn and will last about 2 1/2 hours. The commencement speaker will be U.Va. President John T. Casteen III, who is stepping down as president on Aug. 1.
If you don’t plan to attend, video highlights of Final Exercises, including scenes of the procession, speakers and cutaways of audience, will be satellite uplinked from 4 to 4:30 p.m. Sunday at these coordinates: Galaxy 3C Transponder 21C Slot A; C-band digital; Downlink frequency 4106.5 H; 9MHz; FEC 5/6; Symbol 6.62; Bit Rate 10.167974.
Media representatives who plan to cover Final Exercises should note the following:
• Each member of the media must be credentialed, including all members of TV crews. To obtain credentials, email Penney Catlett of Public Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 20.
• Credentials must be picked up at the U.Va. Public Affairs Office, 400 Ray C. Hunt Drive in the Fontaine Research Park (see map.)
• While on Grounds, you must display your credentials.
• Satellite trucks and vans will not be permitted on Grounds. Parking for cars will be available at several locations, including Scott Stadium and University Hall. Shuttle buses will take you to the Lawn. (More info here.)
• TV cameras may film on the north side of the Rotunda (the public side) where graduates congregate. There will also be a camera platform in the media area on the south end of the Lawn in front of the stage. By the time the academic procession starts at 10 a.m., all TV cameras must be in the media area. Still photographers will not be allowed to walk with graduates during the procession.
• The media area on the Lawn will accommodate only a few TV cameras. Requests will be handled on a space-available basis.
Further information is available from UVa Today and the University's Finals website. email@example.com If you have questions about TV coverage, contact Sheri Winston, or Carolyn Dillard, firstname.lastname@example.org.