May 19, 2010 — The winners of the Leonard W. Sandridge Outstanding Contribution Awards and employees with 10, 15 and 20 years of service at the University of Virginia will be recognized today at the Service Awards Day reception in the John Paul Jones Arena.
Employees with 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 and 55 years of service will be honored at a banquet on June 3 at the Boar's Head Inn.
Each year, U.Va. Human Resources appoints a committee to choose five outstanding employees from the Academic Division, and a Health System committee chooses five in the Medical Center, from a larger group of nominees. In addition, U.Va.'s College at Wise chooses a winner from its staff.
U.Va. Human Resources recently renamed its annual Outstanding Contribution Awards in honor of Leonard W. Sandridge, U.Va.'s executive vice president and chief operating officer, who will retire at the end of the year. The new name for the awards – the highest honors for staff at the University – recognizes Sandridge's years of dedicated service to the University and his role as an avid champion of U.Va.'s staff.
The Sandridge Outstanding Contribution Award recipients are invited to a luncheon with the Board of Visitors in June, where each will receive a $1,000 check and an engraved gift.
Academic Division Awardees
• Joshua M. Bond, costume shop supervisor, Drama Department
• David J. Boling, associate comptroller, Office of Financial Analysis
• Ron L. Hoover, biology facilities project coordinator, Department of Biology
• Mary S. Riner, employer relations manager, McIntire School of Commerce
• Debra D. Rinker, administrative staff assistant, Office of the Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
Medical Center Awardees
• Kristina Asay, patient care assistant, seventh-floor Acute Care Pediatrics
• Donna Eddy, registered nurse, Child Care Center
• Robert Growden, interventional radiology technologist, Department of Radiology
• Michelle Hobbs, lead pharmacist, Investigational Drug Service, Department of Pharmacy Services
• James D. Smith, clinical systems analyst, Department of Medical Laboratories
U.Va.'s College at Wise
• Sue C. Mullins, administrative and office specialist, John Cook Wyllie Library
Profiles of the award winners and a list of the employees recognized for their years of service will be posted on U.Va. Today in the coming weeks.