May 6, 2009 — Gov. Timothy M. Kaine has designated this week as Virginia Public Service Recognition Week. It's time to acknowledge the University of Virginia's 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award winners – the informal leaders among U.Va. employees who take on new projects and bring others along, the fearless innovators who streamline procedures with technology, the go-to folks who always seem to find the answers.
Their supervisors and co-workers call the awardees hard-working and irreplaceable for their know-how, dedication and customer service.
The honorees will be recognized at an afternoon ceremony May 29 in the John Paul Jones Arena. Those employees with 10, 15 and 20 years of service also will be recognized.
Employees with 25 or more years of service will be honored June 10 at a dinner at the Boar's Head Inn.
Here is the list of outstanding contributors whose profiles will appear on UVA Today over the next few days:
• Susan Berres, occupational therapist, Children's Hospital
• Anne Dickey, assistant director, Medical Scientist Training Program, School of Medicine
• Richard Hopkins, landscape superintendent, Facilities Management
• Shannon Janney, administrator, Health Systems Marketing
• Bruce Leffler, administrative assistant, Neuro-Oncology Center
• Cindy Perry, associate chief information officer, Health Systems Computing Services
• Sandra Shifflett, administrative office coordinator, Operating Rooms
• Pearl Smith, fiscal technician, Office of Development, U.Va.-Wise
• Debbie Snow, assistant to the chairman and director of graduate studies, Department of Psychology
• Burley "Bucky" Thacker, chief radiologic technologist, U.Va. Cardiac Catheterization Lab, Augusta Medical Center
• Candice Wills, residency coordinator, Department of Family Medicine.