May 7, 2010 — Between 30,000 and 35,000 people are expected to descend upon the University of Virginia Grounds on May 22 and 23 for graduation weekend.
Outgoing U.Va. President John T. Casteen III will give the commencement address at U.Va.'s 181st Final Exercises on May 23. He will speak on the Lawn following the traditional academic procession, which begins at 10 a.m.
David Baldacci, a 1986 graduate of the U.Va. School of Law and author of 19 political thrillers, including "Absolute Power," "The Whole Truth" and his latest, "Deliver Us From Evil," will give the valedictory address on May 22 at 11 a.m., also on The Lawn.
Below are the names of several outstanding members of U.Va.'s Class of 2010. Click to read their profiles.
• An Engineering Legacy: U.Va.'s Oldest Alum to See His Great-Grandson Follow in His Footsteps (Charles McMurdo and Matthew Vinson)
• Clinical Rotation in Honduras Alters Outlook of Nursing School Graduate (Madeleine Gawne)
• Law School Grad Set to Join National Forest Service (Erin Thompson)
• Environmental Student Leaves Legacy at University (Dan Michaelson)
• Awake or Asleep, Julie Schiff Has Improved the Surrounding Community