August 11, 2010 — The University of Virginia's Office of Emergency Preparedness recommends that you maintain an "emergency go bag" to see you through the first critical hours of an emergency. But a go bag is only as good as the supplies it holds. We recommend the following items:
• Flashlight and extra batteries
• First-aid kit
• Whistle to signal for help
• Dust mask
• Moist towelettes
• Rain poncho or large garbage bag
• Prescription medications
• Extra pair of eyeglasses if applicable
• Copies of important documents, such as your family communications plan and driver’s license
• Bottle of water
• Non-perishable snacks
If you already have a bag, don’t forget to refresh the contents.
Also be sure that you are signed up for U.Va. Alerts. We will be testing notification systems Aug. 31.
For information, contact the Office of Emergency Preparedness at 434-982-0565 or email@example.com.