August 2, 2011 — Sixty-seven physicians from the University of Virginia Health System appear on the first "Top Doctors" directory issued by U.S. News & World Report.
Of the U.Va. doctors selected, 48 are among the top 1 percent in the nation in their respective fields, according to Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., which collaborated with U.S. News to create the online directory.
The U.Va. Medical Center ranked first among hospitals in central Virginia by a vast margin for the number of top doctors: No other institution in the region had more than one physician listed. U.Va. also ranked second in the state, just behind INOVA Fairfax (68), and followed by Virginia Commonwealth University Health System (51) and Sentara Norfolk General (48).
The U.S. News list, which includes nearly 30,000 doctors from across the nation, expands upon Castle Connolly's annual publication "America's Top Doctors" and other guides.
The U.S. News "Top Doctors" list was compiled from nominations submitted by doctors across the United States who could nominate their peer physicians. The list then was reviewed by Castle Connolly's physician-led research team.
A searchable version of the complete list is available online.
The U.Va. doctors named as U.S. News Top Doctors by specialty are:
• Cardiology: George A. Beller
• Cardiac electrophysiology: John P. DiMarco
• Dermatology: Mark Russell
• Endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism: Eugene J. Barrett, Alan C. Dalkin, John C. Marshall, Mary Lee Vance
• Geriatric psychiatry: Suzanne Holroyd
• Gerontology: Diane G. Snustad
• Gynecologic oncology: Linda R. Duska, Susan C. Modesitt, Peyton T. Taylor Jr.
• Heart surgery: Christine L. Lau
• Hematology: John J. Densmore, Mary J. Laughlin, B. Gail Macik
• Infectious diseases: Richard D. Pearson, W. Michael Scheld
• Maternal and fetal medicine: James E. Ferguson II
• Medical oncology: Christiana M. Brenin, Paula M. Fracasso, William W. Grosh, Hanna Sanoff, Christopher Thomas, Geoffrey R. Weiss, Michael E. Williams
• Neonatal perinatal medicine: Robert J. Boyle, John Kattwinkel
• Nephrology: W. Kline Bolton, Mark D. Okusa
• Neurological surgery: Christopher I. Shaffrey, Mark E. Shaffrey
• Neurology: Steven T. DeKosky, Daryl R. Gress, Elliott C. Haley Jr., Ivan Login, David Schiff, G. Frederick Wooten
• Neuroradiology: Mary E. Jensen
• Obstetrics and gynecology: Kathie L. Hullfish, Amir A. Jazaeri
• Orthopaedic surgery: David R. Diduch, Mark D. Miller
• Otolaryngology: Bradley W. Kesser, Paul A. Levine
• Pathology: Kristen Atkins, Stacey E. Mills, Mark H. Stoler
• Pediatric hematology-oncology: Kimberly P. Dunsmore
• Pediatric surgery: Bradley M. Rodgers
• Physical medicine and rehabilitation: Paul T. Diamond
• Plastic surgery: Raymond F. Morgan
• Psychiatry: Randolph J. Canterbury II
• Radiation oncology: James M. Larner, Monica M. Morris, Tyvin A. Rich
• Reproductive endocrinology: Bruce Bateman
• Rheumatology: Janet E. Lewis
• Surgery: Reid B. Adams, Todd Bauer, John B. Hanks, Bruce D. Schirmer, Craig L. Slingluff Jr.
• Thoracic surgery: David R. Jones, Irving L. Kron
• Urology: William D. Steers
• Vascular surgery: Kenneth J. Cherry Jr.