U.Va. Co-Sponsoring Financial Aid Event on Saturday

February 12, 2008 — The Virginia Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators will host "Super Saturday," a higher education financial aid workshop, on Saturday, Feb. 16, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Charlottesville High School. The event, co-sponsored by the University of Virginia and Piedmont Virginia Community College, is one of several similar events being held across the state that day.

Financial aid counselors will be available to meet one-on-one and will help attendees complete their Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA.

“We encourage anyone interested in learning about financial aid to attend, regardless of where their student wants to go to school," said Yvonne Hubbard, director of Student Financial Services. "This event isn't just for students who are ready to graduate, but for students and their families who are just in the planning stages - from middle school through high school.”

A presentation called “The Basics of Financial Aid” will take place at 9 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. The event is open to anyone interested in pursuing a college education. High school students are encouraged to bring their parents, and all attendees should bring materials required to complete the FAFSA online, as there will be computers available.

For information about Super Saturday, call (866) 391-0063.

The following items are required to fill out the FAFSA online:

•    Social Security number for student and parent/spouse.
•    Driver’s license (if applicable).
•    2007 federal income tax return for student and parent/spouse.
•    2007 W-2 forms for student and parent/spouse and other records of money earned.
•    2007 family untaxed income records —  Social Security, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families and/or veteran’s benefits records.
•    Family’s current bank statements, including checking, savings, etc.
•    Family’s current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records.
•    Alien registration card (if you are not a U.S. citizen).