Two research centers of excellence at the University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business, the Center for Global Initiatives and Center for Asset Management, will convene the first Shanghai Investing Summit on May 9 in Shanghai.
From one of Asia’s most dynamic cities, asset management experts and leaders in the field – hosted by Darden’s top-ranked faculty – will identify the next best investments in both the large, core emerging markets and in new pockets of performance. Attendees will leave the summit with actionable investing ideas on new opportunities and trends, based on active discussion with leaders in the field.
Asset managers, investors and MBA students can register via the Darden Shanghai Investing Summit website. The event will take place at the Shanghai Marriott Hotel Centre, from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
“From one of the world’s most energetic financial centers, we’ll delve into the investment ideas that will help investors thrive in this challenging global environment,” Darden Dean Robert F. Bruner said.
The Shanghai Investing Summit is a synergistic collaboration between two of Darden’s research centers of excellence. The Center for Global Initiatives strengthens and expands Darden’s global community through educational opportunities and building partnerships, while the Center for Asset Management generates thought leadership and provides professional development opportunities in the field of asset management.
The summit will showcase speakers from the Shanghai region and around the world. Keynote speakers will include:
- Robert F. Bruner, dean, University of Virginia Darden School of Business
- Yifei Li, China chair, Man Group
Industry experts will explore three topics:
Hedge Fund and Alternatives Outlook in Emerging Markets Panel
- Moderator – John Macfarlane III, founding partner and chair, Vinci Zafferano Capital
- Patrik Edsparr, CIO and co-founder, Tor Investment Management
- Hua Fan, head of Fixed Income and Absolute Return Investment Department, China Investment Corporation
- Fanglu Wang, senior managing director, CITIC Capital
Large Institutional Investors’ Perspectives on Global Opportunity Panel
- Moderator – Larry Kochard, CEO & CIO, University of Virginia Investment Management Company
- Mark Machin, senior vice president and head of International, president, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board Asia
- Ichiro Suzuki, senior portfolio manager, Nomura Asset Management
New Investing Opportunities Panel
- Qing Shan Liu, CEO, Manulife TEDA Fund Management Co.
Shanghai United Media Group is the official media sponsor. Corporate sponsors include CFA China and the Virginia Economic Development Partnership. The event is open to the public; registration fees apply. For more information and to register, visit the Darden Shanghai Investing Summit website.
The summit forms part of Darden’s third annual Global Leadership Forum, which takes place May 9-10. The forum leverages Darden’s powerful alumni network as participants pinpoint the best next global investment opportunities.