The University of Virginia has implemented new features to the UVA COVID Tracker to make the tool more informative and to provide a fuller picture of the prevalence of the virus in the University community.
The tracker was launched in late August and is updated at 4 p.m. daily, Monday-Friday, with key public health statistics, including the number of coronavirus cases reported within the University community.
The numbers represent tests taken within the University community using information from UVA Health, Student Health, Employee Health and the LetsGetChecked testing service. They do not reflect the pre-arrival tests that students took as a condition of returning to Grounds and the Charlottesville area, or tests taken from providers outside the UVA community.
While a positivity rate is not included in the Dashboard 2.0 update, it is being evaluated for inclusion once asymptomatic testing is being conducted at a level that would make the calculation of such a rate an accurate reflection of the University community.
Here is what’s new with UVA’s COVID Dashboard 2.0:
- New cases average: For both total UVA cases and students specifically, the tracker will now show the daily average of new cases for the current week and for the past three weeks.
- Active cases: While the tracker will continue to show the number of new cases from the previous day and days prior, as well as the total number of cases historically, it will now also show active cases for both the UVA community and students specifically. Active cases are new cases over the last 10 days requiring isolation.
- UVA testing: The tracker will now display the number of tests administered the previous week and the week before that. This will include both the number of positive test results and the number of total tests. There will be separate fields for all tests, student tests and employee tests.
- UVA Health hospital statistics: Two new data points have been added to the tracker’s hospital statistics – the number of COVID-19 patients currently in the hospital, and the number of new admissions from the previous day. These numbers reflect any patient hospitalized for COVID, including members of the University community.
- TJHD COVID-19 Data Portal: The tracker now also includes a link to the Virginia Department of Health’s Thomas Jefferson Health District COVID-19 Data Portal. The VDH is the authority for COVID case data in the region. The TJHD portal is updated daily and includes all UVA-affiliated cases.