December 11, 2009 — Snow. Freezing temperatures. Strong winds. Ice. Rain storms.
Winter weather in Virginia can knock out electricity and communications services, sometimes for days at a time. Follow these tips to get ready now.
- Look at the "Operating Schedule" section of the U.Va. home page for the latest information on schedule changes or call the weather telephone lines at 434-243-SNOW (-7669) or 434-924-SNOW (-7669). Note that U.Va. Alerts text messages will not be sent for winter weather events.
- Understand the terms used to identify winter weather.
- Check and update your emergency supply kit before winter approaches.
- Make sure your vehicle is ready for winter.
- Check road conditions before driving by visiting the state's Web site or dialing 511.
For information, contact the Office of Emergency Preparedness at 434-982-0565 or email@example.com.