The Safety Tip of the Month is provided by U.Va.'s Office of Emergency Preparedness on the 11th of every month.
February 11, 2011 — Even though classes are in full swing, we bet you're thinking about Spring Break. Check out these tips to be sure you've done your homework to be prepared for an enjoyable, safe and secure holiday.
• Share your travel plans with someone; make sure they have a copy of your itinerary.
• Learn about the area you are visiting before you travel.
• If you're heading out of the country, check the U.S. State Department travel page for alerts and embassy contact information. Register your travel plans with them.
• No matter where you head, pack essential items – water, first aid kit, an emergency contact card with names and numbers, and important information you may need.
• Stay in groups. Discuss the plan for the day/night and arrange meeting locations.
• Carry only the cash you need. Lock up credit cards, extra cash and passports.
• If you drink, drink responsibly. Drink water, not just alcohol, and be careful around pools and hot tubs.