Each year, the University of Virginia recognizes staff members whose skills, abilities and personal touches make their daily performance extraordinary. Eleven have been selected to receive 2013 Leonard W. Sandridge Outstanding Contribution Awards.
This year’s winners have streamlined tasks to improve efficiency, often saving their departments money – all the while, adding smiles and treating with compassion those around them, including supervisors, co-workers and patients.
Recipients will attend a luncheon with the U.Va. Board of Visitors on May 21, where each will receive a $1,000 check and an engraved gift.
Together with employees with 10, 15 and 20 years of service, they are being recognized Wednesday at the Service Awards Day reception in the John Paul Jones Arena.
The annual Outstanding Contribution Awards are the highest U.Va. honors staff receive for their dedicated service to the University. The awards are named in honor of Leonard W. Sandridge, a longtime employee who retired in 2011 as U.Va. executive vice president and chief operating officer.
Employees with 25, 30, 35, 40 and more years of service will be honored June 4 at John Paul Jones Arena.
Each year, U.Va. Human Resources appoints a committee to sift through nominees and choose five outstanding employees from the Academic Division, while a Health System committee chooses five from the Medical Center. In addition, U.Va.’s College at Wise chooses a winner.
Profiles of the honorees and a list of the employees recognized for their years of service will be posted on UVA Today over the next few weeks, beginning May 21.
This year’s winners are:
- Jamie DeVore, administrative manager in the School of Medicine’s Department of Radiation Oncology.
- Anna “Jeannine” Fields, assistant director of undergraduate admission, McIntire School of Commerce
- Virginia “Jenny” Friend, registered nurse care coordinator at the Emily Couric Clinical Cancer Center
- William “Bill” Graves, surgery supply specialist, Health System
- Pamela Joseph, research administrator in the College of Arts & Sciences’ Department of Physics
- Wilma Lynch, administrative services manager, Claude Moore Health Sciences Library
- Kimberly Marshall, interlibrary loan department, John Cook Wyllie Library at the University of Virginia’s College at Wise
- Stephanie R. Reed, physical therapist, Health System
- Linda Shifflett, patient care assistant, inpatient psychiatric unit, Health System
- Kelvin Tyree, patient care technician, Health System’s Outpatient Surgery Center, Health System
- Warren Wood Jr., sign shop supervisor, Facilities Management