Oct. 18, 2007 — In recent days, there have been several new reports of robberies in areas adjacent to University Grounds.
University of Virginia students have been the victims in at least two robberies near University Grounds since the four earlier incidents we reported to you on Oct. 11, 2007.
One of the recent incidents occurred on Wertland Street, the other occurred in the 900 block of Cherry Avenue. Both took place between the late evening and early morning hours. The Charlottesville Police Department is handling the investigations.
The University of Virginia Police Department would like to again remind all members of the University community of the need to be* extremely cautious* in light of these recent robberies.
U.Va. Police recommend the following risk-awareness and risk-reduction strategies:
• Remain alert and aware of your surroundings at all times.
• Avoid walking on the railroad tracks.
• Use well-lighted pathways.
• Avoid walking alone -- walk in groups whenever possible.
• Report suspicious activity or people immediately by calling 911.
• Trust your instincts about a person or situation.
If you find yourself in this kind of situation, turn over material belongings and avoid confronting the suspect. Notify police immediately by calling 911.
If you have information related to any of these incidents, contact Crimestoppers at 434-977-4000.