Spectrum Theater to Present '2011 Vagina Monologues' at U.Va.

February 21, 2010 — The nationally produced show, "The Vagina Monologues," will be performed by Spectrum Theater, a student-run theater group at the University of Virginia, on Feb. 25, 26 and 27 at 8 p.m. in U.Va.'s Chemistry Building auditorium. Tickets, $5 each, will be sold on the Lawn of the University from Feb. 21 to 25 as well as at the door each night.

"The Vagina Monologues" is part of the V-Day campaign, a movement sponsored across the nation from January through March to build awareness and promote prevention of violence against women. The show consists of both dramatic and comedic monologues about the experiences women go through in their day-to-day lives, both in the United States and worldwide.

The majority of proceeds from the U.Va. production will go toward the White Ribbon Campaign, an organization begun at U.Va. last spring in response to violence against women within the University and Charlottesville communities. A portion of the proceeds also will go to the Haiti Relief Fund, the organization chosen by the national V-Day Campaign to be this year's beneficiary. Each year, the V-Day Campaign national organization chooses one organization to receive 10 percent of the show proceeds, while each theater or University putting on the show can select a group to receive the remaining 90 percent of proceeds.

New this year will be pre-show a cappella performances, beginning at 7:30 p.m., by the Virginia Sil’hooettes, ReMix and the Academical Village People.

Also taking place before the show, from 7 to 8 p.m. in the lobby of the Chemistry Building, will be the fourth annual Vulvapalooza, a sexual health fair with representatives from numerous Charlottesville community and U.Va. organizations. Featuring information, raffles, food, games and prizes, organizations participating in Vulvapalooza will share their work and missions within the community.

For information, contact Brittany Terrell at bmt6v@virginia.edu.

Media Contact