Oct. 11, 2007 — University of Virginia students have been the victims of four robbery incidents close to University Grounds since the beginning of the school year.
The incidents occurred near Wertland Street, West Main Street and Virginia Avenue between the late evening and early morning hours. The Charlottesville Police Department is handling the investigations.
The University of Virginia Police urge students, faculty and staff to use caution in light of these incidents.
Police recommend the following risk awareness and risk reduction strategies:
- Remain alert and aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Avoid walking on the railroad tracks. Use well-lighted pathways.
- Walk in groups whenever possible. Report suspicious activity or people immediately by calling 911.
- Trust your instincts about a person or situation.
- If you find yourself in this kind of situation, turn over material belongings and avoid confronting the suspect. Notify police immediately by calling 911.
If you have information related to any of these incidents, contact Crimestoppers at 434-977-4000.