April 26, 2011 — Forty-eight physicians from the University of Virginia Health System were included in the 10th and latest edition of "America's Top Doctors." Published annually by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., the guide recognizes physicians who are considered among the top 1 percent in the nation in their medical specialties and sub-specialties.
To be selected for inclusion in the book, doctors must be nominated by their peer physicians. The nomination process involves tens of thousands of board-certified physicians across the nation, as well as presidents, vice presidents of medical affairs (or an equivalent position) and chiefs of service in eight medical specialties from more than 1,000 hospitals across the United States. The guide is designed to help people find the most outstanding specialists to meet their medical needs, on a local, regional or national level.
The U.Va. doctors designated as America's Top Doctors, by specialty, are:
• Cardiology: Dr. George A. Beller
• Cardiac electrophysiology: Dr. John P. DiMarco
• Endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism: Dr. Eugene J. Barrett, Dr. Alan C. Dalkin, Dr. John C. Marshall, Dr. Mary Lee Vance
• Geriatric psychiatry: Dr. Suzanne Holroyd
• Gynecologic oncology: Dr. Peyton T. Taylor, Jr.
• Infectious diseases: Dr. Richard D. Pearson, Dr. W. Michael Scheld
• Maternal and fetal medicine: Dr. James E. Ferguson II
• Medical oncology: Dr. Paula M. Fracasso, Dr. William W. Grosh, Dr. Geoffrey R. Weiss, Dr. Michael E. Williams
• Neonatal perinatal medicine: Dr. Robert J. Boyle, Dr. John Kattwinkel
• Nephrology: Dr. W. Kline Bolton, Dr. Mark D. Okusa
• Neurological surgery: Dr. Christopher I. Shaffrey, Dr. Mark E. Shaffrey
• Neurology: Dr. Steven T. DeKosky, Dr. Daryl R. Gress, Dr. Elliott C. Haley Jr., Dr. David Schiff, Dr. G. Frederick Wooten
• Neuroradiology: Dr. Mary E. Jensen
• Obstetrics and gynecology: Dr. Kathie L. Hullfish
• Orthopaedic surgery: Dr. David R. Diduch, Dr. Mark D. Miller
• Otolaryngology: Dr. Bradley W. Kesser, Dr. Paul A. Levine
• Pathology: Dr. Stacey E. Mills
• Pediatric surgery: Dr. Bradley M. Rodgers
• Physical medicine and rehabilitation: Dr. Paul T. Diamond
• Plastic surgery: Dr. Raymond F. Morgan
• Psychiatry: Dr. Randolph J. Canterbury II
• Radiation oncology: Dr. James M. Larner, Dr. Tyvin A. Rich
• Reproductive endocrinology – Dr. Bruce Bateman
• Surgery: Dr. Reid B. Adams, Dr. John B. Hanks, Dr. Bruce D. Schirmer, Dr. Craig L. Slingluff Jr.
• Thoracic surgery: Dr. David R. Jones, Dr. Irving L. Kron
• Urology: Dr. William D. Steers
• Vascular surgery: Dr. Kenneth J. Cherry Jr.
Additionally, 15 physicians on U.Va.'s faculty made the listing for a sister publication, "American's Top Doctors for Cancer" (sixth edition). They are Dr. Reid B. Adams (surgical oncology), Dr. Paula M. Fracasso (hemotology/oncology), Dr. William W. Grosh (hemotology/oncology, Dr. John B. Hanks (general surgery), Dr. David R. Jones (thoracic surgery), Dr. James M. Larner (radiation oncology), Dr. Paul A. Levine (otolaryngology), Dr. Stacey E. Mills (pathology), Dr. Tyvin A. Rich (radiation oncology, Dr. David Schiff (neurology), Dr. Mark E. Shaffrey (neurological surgery), Dr. Craig L. Slingluff (surgical oncology), Dr. Peyton T. Taylor Jr. (gynecologic oncology), Dr. Geoffrey R. Weiss (hematology/oncology), Dr. Michael E. Williams (hematology/oncology).